Friday, December 23, 2011

Some Christmas Memories

1. Will has finished our new dining room and bath room downstairs. Talk about a great Christmas present! Enjoying dinners together in our new room has been a joy this Christmas season. I'm so grateful for my husband who has worked tirelessly to build us a home that we love. I'm a blessed girl!

2. We got our tree with Will's family this year. Aubrey and Serena were "napping" while we set the tree up downstairs and I got a pot of Grandma's tortellini soup going on the stove. An hour in, they were still up in their room whining and fussing. When I went up to get them, I was greeted with the horror of a certain toddler who had taken off her dirty diaper and smeared it ALL over. All over her. All over her brand new crib tent ( to keep her from crawling out of her crib 20 times a night). All over her mattress. All over everywhere. So the tree and dinner were put on hold while Daddy and I scrubbed... Not quite the Christmas memory I was envisioning, but this is life these days!

(Serena has now done this well over a dozen times. Oh, it is awful! So, for each nap and bed time she now has to be undressed and have PJ's put on backwards so the zipper is in the back. This is the only trick to keep her from taking her diaper off! If only I'd figured that one out after Diaper Disaster #1...)

3. Making Christmas cookies with Yai-ya, a yearly tradition! And this year, Colson my newest little nephew got to join in on the fun.

4. Me singing "The 12 Days of Christmas" and "Frosty" while the girls and Caleb dance and twirl around the living room. One of my faves...

5. Building gingerbread houses with the girls and Caleb. I normally leave this one for Will, but we were running out of time! Needless to say, the big girls had a blast, Serena just ate whatever icing and candy I attempted to decorate hers with, and Caleb fussed because he wasn't happy with Ally's help. =) And for this mommy who doesn't like messes, it was a long afternoon!

6. Our yearly Christmas party with Will's extended family. Our girls are the only grandkids on that side (until Auntie Kelley has her baby in May!), so they get so spoiled and showered with hugs and presents by Will's aunts. It's really so sweet and a highlight for me to see my girls so loved. They love going to Aunt Muriel's house each year!

7. Aunt Casey, MJ, Ava, and Uncle Michael coming home from Cali for their Christmas leave! Hooray! We got to celebrate Ava's first birthday on Wednesday, the girls love their only girl cousin!

8. Doing our Advent Calendar that Nani gave us each night. Reading to my girls the story of why we really celebrate Christmas. The most important and wonderful memory of all!

It has been a full, busy and wonderful Christmas season this year. As I look back on what Christmas looked like last year, with Aubrey still so little and how limited we were, I'm grateful for all we've been able to do this year! And we have a full weekend ahead of us: Going to Papoo and Yaiya's house tomorrow morning, Will's grandparents tomorrow evening, Nani and the aunts and uncle coming here Christmas morning, and then us going to Will's family later that day. Phew!

May you all have a wonderful weekend!
Filled with peace and love, and joy for all the blessings we've been given.

1 comment:

Peri said...

I told the (now famous) diaper story to Gram and Gramp Christmas morning. The look on their faces was priceless - including Ian's expression. We all smiled at your great idea to zipper Serena's PJ's up the back. See parenting does get easier when the good ideas kick in.
Seriously, very nice "memories" list. :) xo