Soon after I wrote this morning's email, they sent me down for a new sonogram with the high-risk sonographers' that I had seen earlier in my pregnancy. According to her, (and this has now also been confirmed by the high risk doc), my water has in fact broken. She could not find ANY amniotic fluid at all during her scan. This clearly change things a lot!!
My immediate thought was that we would be delivering today, but soon after my sonogram the high risk doctor came in to explain some things to me. She actually said that as long as things remain stable as they are now -- the babies heart rate is good, blood flow is good, there's no infection or bacteria getting into my uterus -- she can stay in there for quite awhile, potentially even as long as a month. I had no idea that this was even possible, so this was such encouraging news! So the new game plan is to CLOSELY monitor me and the baby for any signs of infection, fever, or things that would be clues that the baby is no longer tolerating her environment well. Whenever that happens, we will go into an immediate C-section to deliver. Basically, since there is no fluid surrounding her anymore, she is much more prone to getting "squished" with each contraction or any new position she tries to move into. This affects her heart rate ect...
So each day that we can keep her in there safe and sound is one more day that she has to grow and develop, and that's what we're praying for! The running theory as to how all this has developed is that the clot I have had since 12 weeks started to put pressure on my cervix, which in turn put me into labor. When I went into labor (Thursday night) I dilated that 1 cm, which caused the clot to rupture and bleed. When the clot ruptured, it seems that it probably pulled my water sac with it, breaking my water at that point.
Obviously, this has been quite a lot to take in, but there are still many things I'm grateful for. I've had this clot for so long, and this could have happened at any point in the pregnancy. I'm so grateful that it happened now, when she is much bigger and able to survive outside the womb; if this had happened 7 weeks ago or earlier, we probably would have lost her. I'm so grateful that modern medicine is allowing her to stay in this long and is keeping her safe, that she has already had two shots of steroids to develop her lungs, and that we have been on antibiotics around the clock to help stave off infection. I'm so grateful that the anti-inflammatory I'm on currently has kept almost all contractions away, which is giving her much less distress and "squishiness" while still in my womb. I'm grateful beyond words for my family, who has taken such good care of my girls, and loves them as much as Will and I do. I'm grateful for dear friends, bringing meals to Will and the kids, babysitting when needed, and doing those mundane things like laundry and dishes so Will doesn't have to. My heart is full!
*Over the past 30 mintues, while I've been typing this, her heart rate has started to drop more regularly - every few minutes or so. The nurse came in and said she's probably just gotten herself into a tough position, and as long as she continues to recover from them well (which she has), there's no need to worry. If she stays in those dips for several minutes at a time, we might have to deliver her.
This is all so much, sorry this has been so long, but it helps me to write it all down and wrap my brain around what's happening!
Some highlights of my day:
~I got to shower for the first time since Friday morning -- woohoo!
~My nurse has been AWESOME today, definitely my favorite so far.
~Katie and Julia got to come and spend the afternoon with me. We read books, colored, played Go Fish and Old Maid, and of course, scratched backs. No better way to spend a day.
~My favorite doctor, Dr. Helmbrecht, is the one on call today. So it's been great to see her and talk to her about all that's transpired. She knows all of my history and it's nice to not have to re-explain everything to someone new!
Specific Prayer Requests:
~That little girl would stay in as long as possible. That there would be no infection, and that her heart rate would stay in a normal range and she would not be in distress.
~That when we do have to deliver, that she would be safe and healthy. That her lungs would be strong, and that she would not have to be in the NICU for too long.
~For my husband and three sweet girls, while I'm in the hospital. That they would have peace, and enjoy each day with whomever family or friends they are with! That they would not worry, and that our times as a family at the hospital would be filled with laughter, not tears.
Thank you for everything.
Love to all!
~~Sena
3 comments:
wow, Sena....so much you're going through...I can't imagine! I wish I could help with your girls but with 3 of my own and another on the way, that's not practical! Perhaps Katie and Julia could come play with Madison sometime! Otherwise, besides prayer, I'll try to figure out some way to be of assistance! I'd love to come and visit sometime (without my kids, obviously) and bring you anything you're craving. :) Let me know when you would desire some company.
Shauna
We'll be praying for you all Sena! May the Lord continue to grant you much grace!
praying praying praying.
"We may be sure of this, and we must pray in the assurance of it, in a full assurance of this faith, that wherever God finds a praying heart, he will be found a prayer-hearing God: though the voice of prayer be a low voice, a weak voice, yet, if it come from an upright heart (He is our righteousness!), it is a voice that God will hear, that he will hear with pleasure, it is his delight, and that he will return a gracious answer to; he has heard thy prayers, he has seen thy tears." The Secret of Communion with God, Matthew Henry
Post a Comment