We saw the GI doctor today. Overall, the news was very good. He did not think that Julia's chronic diarrhea was a sign of anything really bad.
IBS,
Celiac disease and most everything else would be showing symptoms of weight loss, vomit, bloody stools, or fevers -- of which Julia has none. There is something actually called Toddler Non-Specific Diarrhea.... which means just that - diarrhea for no apparent reason. This is his best guess as to what's going on. We're going to do LOTS of tests on her stool (I have seven tubes that I have to fill!!!) to check for other more rare possibilities. The doctor thinks all those will come back negative, and this will just be something we will have to deal with for awhile.
In the mean time, we are cutting back on all juice and adding more fiber to her diet to try and thicken things up a bit. I was tempted to be a little discouraged, as I had hoped to get a more concrete "Do this, and she will be fixed" kind of answer. The non-specific diarrhea could be long term, which can be discouraging (especially since she had 3 explosions during our visit!!!)
But overall, I am so thankful that it seems to be nothing more than what it already is. I'll let you all know if any of the tests come back showing anything significant.
Thank you all for your prayers!
3 comments:
Sorry there's no "silver bullet", but as you said, at least there was no seriously bad news. Maybe some Rhode Island clam cakes in September will do the trick.
I laughed out loud at the "three explosive episodes" you mentioned. For SO many reasons (including that), Juji brings me so much joy.
Ooooh, Ally, you wouldn't have been laughing if you had been there. Trust me, I was GASPING for air!
However, Juju brings me boundless joy as well. :))
Post a Comment