Thursday, November 4, 2010

Prayer Needed!

Dear friends,
Just wanted to send a quick email asking for prayer. Some of you may not have seen on my blog what's been going on the past couple days. Aubrey has been having a low temperature for the past 3 days or so, running anywhere from 95.5 - 96.5. A normal temperature should be anywhere above 97. We have been monitoring it to see if she brought it back up on her own, but this morning when she was still low I put another call into her pediatrician. I just heard back from him, and he is sending us to the ER now to get some blood work done (and possibly a spinal tap, not sure). He called the NICU doctor to consult with them, and they also suggested bringing her in; the concern is that there could be a hidden infection going on that we can't see. She never had problems maintaining her temperature in the hospital, so they're worried that she would all of a sudden start that now.

Anyway, please pray for Aubrey that there would be no infection and that everything would be fine. Please pray that she would be able to bring her temperature back up into a normal range. And please pray that I won't be anxious about sitting in a germy ER all afternoon!

I'll let you know what happens - thank you for praying!
Love,
~~Sena

***Update as of 4 pm, Thursday:

We are here in the ER now. So grateful to my amazing husband who left work early to be with me. I wasn't looking forward to being here alone, and am so happy he's here. So far things have been going well. Because she's preemie, they brought us immediately back and got started right away; I'm very thankful to not have to wait around for a long time. Her temps have continued to be low here. She's already had quite a bit of work done -- they put an IV line in to draw blood as well as to start her on antibiotics, inserted a catheter to be able to draw a urine sample, took a swab of the inside of her nose to test for the flu or RSV, and currently are doing a spinal tap (hence why I'm emailing - they kicked me out to the waiting room for this part). Low body temperature is one of the huge symptoms of serious infection in newborns, so that's what they're checking for. They will most likely admit her for at least 48 hours to keep her on antibiotics until all the tests come back clear. And even if they do come back clear, they might still keep her longer until she's able to maintain her own temperature. So there's still a lot of unknowns, but the doctors here have been so wonderful. Very kind and thorough and gentle as they explain all that's happening. Brie's covering physician even brought in the head resident to redo her exam to make sure she hadn't missed anything! Very grateful for that!

Right now Will is running back home to get the breast pump and some other things. We left in a hurry, and I wasn't really thinking through all the details! Thank you so much for praying, I'll let you know when we know anything new!
Love ,
~~Sena

1 comment:

Shauna said...

sena, praying for all of you....thank you for keeping us all posted via your blog. Let me know if there's anything you need. Hope all is getting better with Aubrey.